August 23, 2011

Marshmallow Power

By this time we are all in full-blown summer mode! And that is awesome. Hiking, biking, swimming, festivals, baseball games, snow cones, vacations, parks, roof top patios, and camping. Camping... woot! Camping in the Colorado Rockies is pretty fantastic. And whenever I go camping, I require some toasty s'mores for dessert.

A lot of people don't know that marshmallows are made with gelatin, and gelatin is really nasty stuff. Derived from the collagen inside animals' skin and bones, gelatin is a by-product from the meat industry and is far from vegan, or even vegetarian. I can't imagine any wanting to munch on ground up hoofs, intestines and skin... gross.


Luckily, there are plenty of cruelty-free marshmallow options available at your local Whole Foods or other natural grocer. My favorites are Sweet & Sara and Dandies. They are both perfect for any recipe, like classic s'mores, rice krispie treats, fluffernutters and ambrosia salad.
I don't know about you, but my mouth is watering and I am ready to head up to the mountains (or simply the backyard) and toast some marshmallows!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...